Serious Explosive Power Training for Athletes
When I first began delving into Strength and Conditioning literature after I got out of college, I was given a copy of a strength training documentary about Werner Gunthor called, L’heritage d’une carriere, by my friend Dan Cenidoza
At the time, I was reading a lot of the materials from the NSCA, and even though they were much more geared toward strength training than the bodybuilding magazines I read in college, even the NSCA manuals did not prepare me for the type of training I would see in this video.
To my dismay, I somehow lost my copy of the tape and had not watched it in years, but I was able to find it recently, in its entirety on YouTube.
Take note, that Werner Gunthor was no slouch. Aside from having one of the most bad-ass mullets in history, he was also a fantastic athlete, who dominated in Track and Field in his time and was the best ever in his country. So if you try this stuff, you better have your mind right, brother.
Below is a bit more information on Gunthor that I blatantly copied and pasted from Wikipedia:
- Werner Günthör (born 1 June 1961 in Uttwil) is a former Swiss track and field athlete, who was the best shot putter in the history of Swiss track and field.
- Günthör won three straight World Championships, 1987, 1991, and 1993, as well as one European Championship in 1986. At the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul he won the bronze medal.
- His personal best throw, and Swiss record, was 22.75 metres, achieved in August 1988 in Bern.
- The 2.00 meter tall athlete also competed in the bobsled. He trained to be a sanitation installer but later completed study in sports and works today as a sport teacher and track and field coach. He is married and lives in Biel.
If you are a strength coach or personal trainer, please bookmark this page and any time you have a few minutes, sit down and watch a section. While you are doing this, make notes of all the things that you find interesting, and give them a try. I bet you will find there are many tactics in the video for developing strength and power that you never thought of before. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy the clips and that you see some things you can stick into your training. I know I’ve got a few things I am going to stick into my leg days.
All the best in your training.
Articles You Might Also Like:
- New Product Coming Soon: Grip Training for Track and Field Throwers
- Viewer Feedback – Grip Training for Throwers Review
- Juniata Strength Clinic 2017 Highlights
- Strength Training and Injury Prevention for Throwing Athletes
- Interview with John Gaglione
November 1st, 2011 at 4:27 pm
I was very interested in the training article about Werner Gunthor, but I see the numbers 1,2,3 and 4, but no print inbetween! I would like to readit!
November 1st, 2011 at 6:53 pm
That’s some ill ish! I love the different perspective toward training. Did you see those Squat racks and outdoor training. I felt like jumping in there and doing a set with them. I am definitely gonna’ try some of those moves. Thanks, Brian Pearson CSCS
November 1st, 2011 at 9:58 pm
Thanks so much for posting these videos. Really nice to see a real champ training. Will add a few training techniques in my own regime.
November 2nd, 2011 at 3:52 am
Awesome workouts video. That’s really huge exercise view and so much implicit for the athletics. Thanks!
November 2nd, 2011 at 8:28 am
Sure thing Alfred. Keep coming back brother!!
November 2nd, 2011 at 8:29 am
No problem, Amit. i actually sued some of the pre-exhaustion iso work this morning with my personal training client.
November 2nd, 2011 at 8:30 am
Brian, thanks for checking it out and leaving a comment. This video is awesome. I hope you find some real gems to include in your programs.
November 2nd, 2011 at 8:30 am
There wasn’t a ton of article printed brother, mainly just the videos. Sorry for the confusion.