2018 North American Grip Sport Championship
The 2018 North American Grip Sport Championship will take place on June 2, 2018 at Titan Strength, located at 103 Stowell Place, Elmira New York.
For complete information on the event, please go here: 2018 NAGS Championship
At A Glance:
Date: June 2, 2018
Entry Fee: $50
Location: Titan Strength in Elmira, NY
Paypal: [email protected]
Pushing Everything Back 1 Hour from the Norm, due to the Canadian group driving in the morning of.
Weigh-ins – Begin 9:00 AM
Rules – 10:00 AM
Warm-ups – 10:30 AM
1st Event, Grippers Begin – 11:00 AM
IMPORTANT: If you are not sure what width you will be using on the 2 Hands Pinch,
please decide this and your first attempt before the Gripper Event Starts at 11:00.
The devices will be out for you to text the entire morning.
Currently Planned Weight Classes & Divisions:
Men’s 66 kg
Men’s 74 kg
Men’s 83 kg
Men’s 93 kg
Men’s 105 kg
Men’s 120 kg
Men’s 120+ kg
Men’s 50+ Years Open
**No qualification required for Women’s Open and Men’s 50+ Years Open divisions.
1. NAGS Gripper Set – One Hand Contested – 20mm Block – 4 attempts
The athlete will set the gripper with the off hand and then must pass the block through him or herself. The athlete may switch back and forth between hands as needed to get the best close out of their 4 attempts. At no time may the gripper be braced against the body during the set or during the close. This will be strictly enforced. If the lifter closes the gripper, the judge will say “Good” or “Closed.” If the lifter is unsuccessful, the judge will so “No.”
We will try to move through this quickly, possibly running two grippers and judges at a time, as was done at NAGS 2017.
2. Two Hands Pinch on Euro – 16.5″ Crossbar – 4 Attempts
2 Implements will run at a time, the same implements that have been used only at Nationals since 2014. One will be the light implement, starting below 185lbs, and the other will be the heavy implement, starting over 185lbs. We will begin with the lower widths first and then work our way up. For instance, once all lifters using 48mm are finished, the width will be changed to the next higher width desired. Please know your width prior to the contest, in order to save time. At least one separate apparatus will be on hand for people to take warm-ups.
The athlete will grip the implement with both hands in an overhand grip. Underhand or alternated are not permitted. The lifter gets 4 attempts. Any effort to lift the implement off the floor is considered an attempt. This is a Rising Bar event, so if the lifter fails on an attempt, he/she may wait 2 minutes and then repeat that weight, or have weight added, but may not drop down in weight.
3. Napalm’s Nightmare – 2 3/8″ Handles – 6-inch Lift Height – 4 Attempts
A genuine Napalm’s Nightmare implement will be used. The athlete must take a double overhand grip – alternated or underhand are not permitted. The athlete takes his/her grip and lifts, trying to make a knock-bar contact a cross-bar, 6 inches above. Any effort to lift the device is considered an attempt, and if the implement does not reach proper height, or if the implement slips from the athlete’s hands before touching the floor, the lift is disqualified. This is a rising bar event – once weight is added, it will not be removed. If the lifter misses a lift, he/she may repeat that weight or go up, but may not drop down.
Weight jumps will be a 10lb plate, a 10lb plate, then the 10’s will be removed and replaced with a 25-lb plate, then a 10lb plate, and then the 25lb and 10lb plates will be removed and replaced with a 45-lb plate.
12 Items in 90 seconds
There will be 4 weight options for each challenge category. They are listed from most to least difficult. Most difficult = 5 points, then 4 points, 3 points, and the least difficult will receive 2 points.
1. Double RT Pull-up – 4 / 3 / 2 / 1
2. Block Weights – Fatman 53# / Next Gen Blob 50# / Half 75 Next Gen / Half 70 Hex /
3. Rolling Handles – 2.5″ Crusher 190 / Mannino 165 / Old RT 140 / Old RT 115
4. Inch Pinch – 65 / 50 / 35 / 20
5. Sledge Choke to Box +/- 31″ Handles – 10# / 8# / 6# / 3#
6. Anvil to Lockout – 113+20-lbs (ring)/ 113 / 67 / 55
7. Challenge Bells – Inch Dumbbell 170 / Death Grip 154 / Shot 123 / Plate Loadable 80
8. Plate Hub Lift – 45# + 10/ 45# / 35″ / 25″
9. Sledge Face Lever – 16 / 12 / 8 / 6
10. Plate Pinch – 2×45’s / 2x35s / 2x25s / 3x10s
11. Inverted Dumbbell Lift Smooth Faces Only – 60 / 50 / 35 / 20
12. Loose Plate Pinch – 5 tens / 4 tens / 3 tens / 2 tens
Athletes can start on any feat, without their hand touching the item, and they can take tries at multiple difficulty levels within the same category, but will only receive points for their top performance in that category. In other words, they will receive only 4 points for doing 3 RT Pullups. If they do 3 on one try and 2 on the next, they will receive 4 points for doing 3.
1. Double RT Pull-up: Reasonable extension on each rep, chin above the rolling thunders on each rep, no re-gripping. Reps must be done consecutively.
2. Block Weights: Loaded to a platform
3. Rolling Handles: Lift to Lockout with Down Call
4. Inch Pinch: 6″ pull above block
5. Sledge Choke to Box: Grip by end of handle, load onto box without quarter falling off
6. Anvils: Grip by horn, lift to lockout
7. Challenge Bells: Lift for speed, so tilts and bracing permitted, must lift with one hand.
8. Plate Hub Lift: Lift for speed, any grip required
9. Sledge Face Lever: Reasonable control keeping the working hand approximately
10. Plate Pinch: Load to platform
11. Inverted Dumbbell Lift Smooth Faces Only: No contact with print on dumbbell, lift to platform
12. Loose Plate Pinch: Load to platform
5. Wrist Roller for Time
Distance and weight of sled to be determined upon visiting the venue – Approximately 30 to 40 feet. 60 seconds time limit
The objective will be to pull a sled towards you by winding it up a wrist roller, using a wrist extension motion. Distance will be marked if the course is not completed, and scores awarded by distance.
Anyone who drags it partially will earn between 51 and 75 points and anyone who drags it the full distance earns between 76 and 100 points (scaled based on speed – fastest time earns 100 points).
Articles You Might Also Like:
- Pinch Block Curl – New NAGS Event
- International King Kong Grip Challenge 2014
- The Grip Strength Challenge – Medley
- Woodall Grip Highlights
- Wild Card Grip Strength Challenge #3 – The Medley