Last week, I put up a post on Medley Training for Combat Athletes. You can check it out here if you missed it = > Training with Medleys for Combat Athletes.
Medley Training is great for all athletes because Medleys force you to be able to execute strength for extended period times and in many different ways. The result is improved conditioning where you are able to make bigger hits and continue to fight for longer periods of time whether on the field or the mat.
In the following video, we perform Medleys involving many different implements that require full body strength. You’ll see:
- Atlas Stone Loading
- Keg Press
- Keg Carry
- Tire Flipping
- Kettlebell Snatching
You’ll also see some other movements done outside of the Medley format:
- Leaping atop Barrels
- Kettlebell Flipping
- Some Intense Water Jug Work
Because these lifts and feats require full body strength from your toes to your finger tips, Medley training like this has the potential for excellent carryover into sports such as Mixed Martial Arts, Football, Rugby, Wrestling, Basketball, Baseball, etc.
Here is just a quick list of the benefits of medley training using Odd Objects and Strongman Equipment:
- Involve using odd objects which increase the core component of the lift (keg, stone, tire, kb)
- Heavily dependent on Posterior Chain Strength (keg, stone, tire)
- Train Triple Extension: Successive firing of the ankle, knee and hip joint (tire, stone, keg)
- Size of implements hinder breathing, simulating near hypoxic training (keg carry)
- Movement Under Tension, moving while carrying a load (keg carry)
- Overhead Work: Ground based full body power (keg press and kettlebell snatch)
One thing to take note of is that Medley training with movements such as these also involve some risk and injury can occur when doing them, especially is you do not know the correct techniques.
If you need more information on how to do these types of training, we have several resources here on the site, on YouTube, and other locations:
Odd Object Training
- Training Center: How to Do Odd Object Training
- Video: How to Flip Tires Safely
- Article & Video: How to Get Started Lifting Kegs
For more exercise demonstrations, check out my YouTube Channel = > Jedd’s Strength Training Channel
All the best in your training,
Ultimate Forearm Training for Baseball | How to Bend Nails | How to Tear Cards | Feats of Grip Strength Explained | How to Build Your Own Equipment | How to Lift Atlas Stones | The Sh*t You’ve Never Seen | Sled Dragging for Athletes | The Road to the Record DVD