Steel Bending Contest Coming to Philadelphia
Sonny Barry bending a 5/8″ x 43″ round steel bar at the 2009 Olde Time Strongman and Barbell dinner
STEEL BENDING CONTEST
Sonny Barry recently contacted me and asked me to help him get the word out about his contest he is holding in Philadelphia in January.
SEE THE DETAILS AFTER THE JUMP
Since I know some of the best steel benders in the world come to the Diesel site, I told him I’d be glad to post some information about his contest here.
STEEL BENDING CONTEST
Hosted & Judged by “Man of Steel” Sonny Barry & Professional Strongman Greg Matonick
w/ SPECIAL GUEST SLIM “THE HAMMER MAN”
& GUEST JUDGE “IRISH ANVIL” TOM KELLY
Sunday January 10TH, 2010 – Contest Starts at 11am. Registration starts at 10am or Register Online at PhillyExpo.info
3rd Annual Philly Sports Extravaganza
Valley Forge Convention Center
1210 1st Ave King of Prussia PA 19406
• Spotlight your best 3 feats of strength in front of a large crowd and fellow peers
• Judged by Professional Strongmen Sonny Barry & Greg Matonick, the “Irish Anvil” Tom Kelly, and Slim “The Hammer Man” Farman
• Impress us with your steel bending prowess! Accepting steel bars, nails, bolts, horseshoes, steel framing hammers, wrenches, scrolling metal, railroad spikes, tearing license plates, breaking chains, etc.
• (No phonebooks, decks of cards, etc. – This is NOT a “Man of Paper” contest)
Winner will be the official 2010 “Valley Forge Man of Steel”
AWARDING 1ST- 6TH Places
ENTRY FEE: $20
*Bring your own props. All props will first be inspected by the judges
GENERAL ADMISSION TICKETS $15.00 online and $20.00 at the Door
Ticket gets you in to see up to 15 sports including Powerlifting, Boxing, Olympic Lifting, and Karate.
A 28 1/2 x 1/2 square bar bent in half,then twisted into a heart that Barry bent at 63 yrs. old. This guy knows serious steel bending.
Who is Sonny Barry? Here’s a little bit of information on the man, himself…
• Started lifting weights at the age of 12
• For about 10 years, trained under George Everly in Catch Can (shoot) wrestling
• Black belt in Judo, a 3rd degree brown belt in Aikido, and a brown belt in Karate.
• Was introduced to the world of feats of strength by Greg Matonick.
• Bent a horse shoe on his first try.
• Has performed many other tremendous strength feats at many impressive venues…
For more info on Sonny Barry, check out his site: SonnyBarry.com
For more info on the Steel Bending Competition, check out: PhillyExpo.info
Who will be the steel bending champion?
If you are planning on attending this competition, let me know! Leave a comment below…
The Nail Bending eBook
When you buy the Nail Bending eBook, you’ll find out
- How to condition your hands and wrists for bending to avoid injury
How to wrap nails, bolts, and stock for big bends
How the various pieces of bending stock compares with bolts and nails
The various certifications that are available for bending steel
A ton of exercises that will strengthen your hands, thumbs and wrists
Take action and get the Diesel Nail Bending eBook NOW ==> Nail Bending eBook
Articles You Might Also Like:
- Holy Cow – 188 Pages
- Nail Bending and Variation of Metals
- Get Ready to Melt Steel
- Bending Back Online
- Intro to Nail Bending
This entry was posted on Wednesday, December 23rd, 2009 at 11:11 pm and is filed under feats of strength bending, how to improve grip strength, old strongman feats of strength. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
About Jedd Johnson
Leave a Reply