More Medley Training for Serious Athletes
Last week, I put up a post on Medley Training for Combat Athletes. You can check it out here if you missed it = > Training with Medleys for Combat Athletes.
Medley Training is great for all athletes because Medleys force you to be able to execute strength for extended period times and in many different ways. The result is improved conditioning where you are able to make bigger hits and continue to fight for longer periods of time whether on the field or the mat.
In the following video, we perform Medleys involving many different implements that require full body strength. You’ll see:
- Atlas Stone Loading
- Keg Press
- Keg Carry
- Tire Flipping
- Kettlebell Snatching
You’ll also see some other movements done outside of the Medley format:
- Leaping atop Barrels
- Kettlebell Flipping
- Some Intense Water Jug Work
Because these lifts and feats require full body strength from your toes to your finger tips, Medley training like this has the potential for excellent carryover into sports such as Mixed Martial Arts, Football, Rugby, Wrestling, Basketball, Baseball, etc.
Here is just a quick list of the benefits of medley training using Odd Objects and Strongman Equipment:
- Involve using odd objects which increase the core component of the lift (keg, stone, tire, kb)
- Heavily dependent on Posterior Chain Strength (keg, stone, tire)
- Train Triple Extension: Successive firing of the ankle, knee and hip joint (tire, stone, keg)
- Size of implements hinder breathing, simulating near hypoxic training (keg carry)
- Movement Under Tension, moving while carrying a load (keg carry)
- Overhead Work: Ground based full body power (keg press and kettlebell snatch)
One thing to take note of is that Medley training with movements such as these also involve some risk and injury can occur when doing them, especially is you do not know the correct techniques.
If you need more information on how to do these types of training, we have several resources here on the site, on YouTube, and other locations:
Odd Object Training
- Training Center: How to Do Odd Object Training
- Video: How to Flip Tires Safely
- Article & Video: How to Get Started Lifting Kegs
- Blog Post: 7 Reasons to Lift Stones
- DVD: Stone Lifting Fundamentals
- Blog Post: How to Flip Kettlebells
- Guest Post: How to Juggle Kettlebells
For more exercise demonstrations, check out my YouTube Channel = > Jedd’s Strength Training Channel
All the best in your training,
Ultimate Forearm Training for Baseball | How to Bend Nails | How to Tear Cards | Feats of Grip Strength Explained | How to Build Your Own Equipment | How to Lift Atlas Stones | The Sh*t You’ve Never Seen | Sled Dragging for Athletes | The Road to the Record DVD
Articles You Might Also Like:
- 7 Reasons to Start Lifting Stones
- The Grip Strength Challenge – Medley
- Diesel Odd Object Training: Keg Lifting Basics
- Diesel Stone Lifting Chronicles – Part 1
- Dessert For Your Workout – 5 Finishers to Work Your Grip
Tags: atlas stones, keg, medley, medley training, stone, strongman training, strongman workout
August 9th, 2010 at 7:19 am
hello jedd, the video is not loading it set to private or something.
August 9th, 2010 at 9:30 am
Dude, I am losing it! Thanks for letting me know!
August 9th, 2010 at 5:31 pm
Guys…………… Freaking great workout ! Man I miss having knees. Awesome work !
August 9th, 2010 at 7:46 pm
Been a while since we heard from you. Thanks for stopping by, brother!
August 9th, 2010 at 8:28 pm
That tire looked pretty brutal 900 lb. is no joke
August 11th, 2010 at 9:25 am
Hey, Brad is a freak. Always has been. I think he could do very well in the lighter weight class categories of strongman. He is for real. Nothing stops him.
August 12th, 2010 at 10:16 am
Now thats awesome!!