Serious Explosive Power Training for Athletes
When I first began delving into Strength and Conditioning literature after I got out of college, I was given a copy of a strength training documentary about Werner Gunthor called, L’heritage d’une carriere, by my friend Dan Cenidoza
At the time, I was reading a lot of the materials from the NSCA, and even though they were much more geared toward strength training than the bodybuilding magazines I read in college, even the NSCA manuals did not prepare me for the type of training I would see in this video.
To my dismay, I somehow lost my copy of the tape and had not watched it in years, but I was able to find it recently, in its entirety on YouTube.
Take note, that Werner Gunthor was no slouch. Aside from having one of the most bad-ass mullets in history, he was also a fantastic athlete, who dominated in Track and Field in his time and was the best ever in his country. So if you try this stuff, you better have your mind right, brother.
Below is a bit more information on Gunthor that I blatantly copied and pasted from Wikipedia:
- Werner Günthör (born 1 June 1961 in Uttwil) is a former Swiss track and field athlete, who was the best shot putter in the history of Swiss track and field.
- Günthör won three straight World Championships, 1987, 1991, and 1993, as well as one European Championship in 1986. At the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul he won the bronze medal.
- His personal best throw, and Swiss record, was 22.75 metres, achieved in August 1988 in Bern.
- The 2.00 meter tall athlete also competed in the bobsled. He trained to be a sanitation installer but later completed study in sports and works today as a sport teacher and track and field coach. He is married and lives in Biel.
If you are a strength coach or personal trainer, please bookmark this page and any time you have a few minutes, sit down and watch a section. While you are doing this, make notes of all the things that you find interesting, and give them a try. I bet you will find there are many tactics in the video for developing strength and power that you never thought of before. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy the clips and that you see some things you can stick into your training. I know I’ve got a few things I am going to stick into my leg days.
All the best in your training.
Need to take your conditioning to the next level? Check out the Ultimate Sled Dragging Manual
Articles You Might Also Like:
- New Product Coming Soon: Grip Training for Track and Field Throwers
- Viewer Feedback – Grip Training for Throwers Review
- Olympic Lifts or Strongman for Athletes?
- Updates: New Things Coming Your Way
- Coming to Juniata
This entry was posted on Sunday, October 30th, 2011 at 7:56 pm and is filed under athletic strength training lift odd objects, bodyweight training, core workouts for athletes, how to build muscle, how to improve fitness and conditioning, strength training muscle building workouts, strength training powerlifting, strength training to improve athletic performance, strength training workouts. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
About Jedd Johnson
8 Responses to “Serious Explosive Power Training for Athletes”
Leave a Reply