5 Minute Shoulder Mobility Warm-up – Shoulder Rehab Exercises
5 Minute Shoulder Mobility Warm-up
by Mike Hanley
In this day and age we have such busy lives and schedules that it is crucial to make the most out of our time in the gym. Many times we often forget the most important aspects of training and just go in and start throwing weights around. In the long run this causes more problems than it saves time. I get asked quite often how to get in all aspects of training with very limited time to do so. When we think about training we think about strength, conditioning, flexibility, mobility in that order when in fact it needs to be the complete opposite to stay in the game. Mobility and flexibility of the joints, muscle tissue, ligaments and tendons surrounding those joints is crucial for maintaining a healthy body that can withstand heavy loads year in and year out.
Here is a great upper body warm up that incorporates dynamic warm-ups, mobility and muscle activation to prep our shoulder girdle, thoracic spine and rotators in 5 minutes. It is a simple, quick and effective warm-up for upper body days.
To warm up and activate the muscles in the shoulder region, upper back and thoracic spine. Properly prepare our tendons, ligaments and muscle for the task to come and to improve joint integrity of the shoulder and thoracic spine.
Shoulder muscles including the all rotator cuff muscles, teres major and minor, rhomboids and thoracic spine.
1. Unilateral External Circular Rotations – 10x each arm
2. Unilateral Internal Circular Rotations – 10x each arm
3. Bilateral External Circular Rotations – 10x
4. Bilateral Internal Circular Rotations – 10x
5. Corkscrew Shoulder Twists – 20x
6. Squat Position Unilateral Thoracic Mobility Reach – 10x each side
7. Band Shoulder Dislocates – 10x
8. Band Diagonal Shoulder Dislocates – 5x each way
9. Band Pull Aparts – 10x
10. Diagonal Band Pull Aparts- 10x each way
Give this warm-up a try on your upper body days or even on a squat day if your shoulder are tight. It will help alleviate some tightness in the shoulder while squatting with a bar on your back. Many times our shoulders get just as beat up on a squat workout as they do on a bench day.
This warm up is quick and it works. If you are pressed for time it will take 5 minutes and your shoulders will feel like a million bucks
Check out Mike and his killer blog at http://www.hanleystrength.com . He has a massive free report, you better go pick it up!
Articles You Might Also Like:
- 20 Awesome Warm-up Exercises, Shawn Phillip's AMPED Warm-up Routine
- 20 Awesome Warm-up Exercises, Shawn Phillip’s AMPED Warm-up Routine
- 3 Insanely Effective, FAST Upper Body Warm-ups – Repost
- 3 Insanely Effective, FAST Upper Body Warm-ups
- Shoulder Rehab – New Facepulls